Avoid Major Compliance Issues – Sending Personal Info by Email
All tax, accounting and CPA firms, regardless of size, must comply with The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (aka – GLBA). The legislation was designed to protect personal financial information and applies to CPAs, Enrolled Agents and tax preparers.
Accounting firms and tax preparers must comply with all three:
1. Ensure the security and confidentiality of their client’s information
2. Protect against any anticipated threats or hazards.
3. Protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information.
Penalties for Non-Compliance
• Civil and criminal penalties.
• Fines up to $100,000 per violation.
How Build Your Firm can help you:
• Secure File Sharing tool is part of your website – 256 bit encryption (bank grade, higher than most portal services which tend to be 128 bit)
• Our proprietary tool is easier to use than traditional portals
• No “I forgot my password” phone calls
If you or your staff sends out a unprotected (unencrypted) tax return, K1, or QuickBooks file, that violates GLBA provisions.
Build Your Firm’s secure file sharing tool encrypts inbound and outbound electronic documents.